The words crunchy, indulgent and more-ish are rarely associated with weeknight meals but every one of these can be used to describe this okra pachadi. Add a few notches of excitement to a mid week dinner and serve these crispy okra bites in spiced yoghurt with plain and simple steamed rice.
Traditionally, the okra are fried but this recipe uses the oven to save time and turn out an oven baked version. All credit to my sister in law for introducing me to this awesome pachadi and for sharing her family recipe.
Ingredients for the okra:
350 grams okra, washed, dried and cut into small pieces
2-3 tablespoons oil
salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder
a pinch of turmeric
Ingredients for the spiced yoghurt:
1 cup yoghurt
salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon cumin coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon chaat masala*
- Preheat the oven at 220 C for 10 minutes.
- Cover an oven proof tray with parchment paper. In a bowl, add the oil, salt, chilli powder, turmeric and cumin-coriander powder. Add the okra pieces and mix till the okra is covered with the marinade.
- Pop the okra into the oven until crispy (about 15- 20 minutes at 220 C).
- In the meanwhile, add the salt, cumin -coriander powder and chaat masala to the yoghurt.
- Mix the crispy okra into the yoghurt and serve immediately.
- Chaat masala is a popular spice mix in India and is easily available in most grocery stores selling Indian spices.