Vaangyache bhareet is a cooling and tummy friendly aubergine raita. Baingan bharta just got a Maharashtrian makeover!
Flame roasted aubergine, onion, tomatoes add body to this dish. Chillies and some basic spices start a flavour party. Yoghurt adds the cool quotient and coriander livens it all up.
A wonderful symphony of textures and flavours.
Replace your regular raita with this beauty or turn it into a side for pulao or dal-roti.
Give it a go and let me know what you think! It’s perfect for all seasons.
1 aubergine, flame roasted
1 onion, chopped fine
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 green chilli, finely chopped
3/4 cup yoghurt
salt to taste
1/2 a teaspoon of red chilli powder or paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder (dhana-jeera)
- Flame roast the aubergine until charred on the outside and soft and pulpy on the inside. Cool and keep aside.
- Scrape the charred skin off. Mash the pulp.
- In a mixing bowl add the chopped, onion, tomatoes, green chillies and the aubergine pulp. Add salt to taste.
- Keep aside for 10-15 mins, while you prep the rest of your meal. The salt will draw out all the flavours while it sits.
- Add in the yoghurt and mix well. Sprinkle the chilli powder and cumin-coriander.
- Give it a good mix and serve.
Nothing can be simpler, especially on a lazy weekend. Play around with the spices to suit your palate. You can’t go wrong!
Note: This is an updated version of my recipe on The Weekend Baker