Xacuti is a rich coconut curry, served with classic Goan red rice, and best eaten with your fingers (so that you can lick them clean when you’re done).
The very first bite will transport you to Goa – meals by the beach, with the wind in your hair and the sounds of the waves crashing on to the shore.
Needless to say, every family has their favourite version and this is ours.
1 kilo lean chicken
2 medium onions, cut into chunks
2 medium potatoes, cubed (optional )
10-12 curry leaves
3 tablespoons oil
Masala (Spice paste):
½ a grated Coconut (about 1 cup)
4 – 5 cloves of garlic
½ ” piece of ginger
½ an onion, sliced fine
6 Kashmiri chillies
½ teaspoon cloves (about 5-6 cloves)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2” piece of cinnamon
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
½ teaspoon sesame seeds
salt to taste
- In a wide pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil & toast the coconut till light brown. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, fry the onion, garlic & ginger for about 2-3 minutes. Keep aside.
- Fry all the remaining spices until well toasted (about 3-4 minutes).
- Tip the coconut, toasted spices and the oinion-ginger-garlic into a blender. Adding a few tablespoons of water at a time, blend this to a fine paste. It should feel smooth and like velvet.
- Next heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add curry leaves, and let them splutter. Add the chopped onion and potatoes & sauté till the onion is lightly pink.
- Add the chicken and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the spice paste with a little water and salt to taste. Cook till the chicken is done.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice just before serving.
- Serve hot with red rice or basmati.
Perfect with some chilled beer.
A nice Sunday snooze is highly recommended after tucking into this meal.