Mango fool is at the very top of my ‘dessert island’ list. It needs no effort at all – the only requirement is a love for mangoes, alphonso in particular.
As kids we would wait all year for the summer months just to have this. It was so worth it. Our indulgent household had a thinned down version of it (using milk instead of cream) for an afternoon pick me up, instead of the usual 4 pm tea or coffee. Sheer bliss!
For me, it doesn’t get better than this.
This recipe serves 2 or just 1, if you’d rather not share.
2 large Alphonso mango
200 grams cream
2 tablespoons condensed milk or sugar to taste
1. Peel and cut the mango. Keep aside one cheek of the mango and cube it.
2. Put the mango into a blender and puree it.
3. Mix the condensed milk and the cream.
4. Fold in the puree into the cream.
5. Add the remaining cubes of mango.
1. If you are counting the calories, you can use Greek yoghurt instead of the cream.
2.You can replace the condensed milk with sugar. Add more or less, depending on how sweet you like it.
3. For the thinned down, smoothie-like version, replace the cream with 300 mils of full fat milk. Blend milk and mango together. (I like chunky bits in mine so I prefer to mash the mango with a fork rather than blend it.) If the mango is sweet, I omit the sugar altogether.