Comfort food on a Sattvic diet presents itself in the form of mung dal khichdi.
I make it quite often even when we’re not on a week of self denial but it never seemed tastier than it did that week. The added benefit – dinner on the table in 30 minutes!
Also perfect for weeknights, busy nights and those ‘I want dinner over and done with’ nights.
1 cup basmati rice
1/2 cup mung dal
1/2 a green chilli (or more if you prefer)
6-8 curry leaves
1/2 a tablespoon of cumin seeds (jeera)
1 onion, chopped lengthwise
salt to taste
2 tablespoons of oil
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric (optional)
1. Wash and soak the rice and dal for about 1-2 hours.
2. In a pan, heat the oil and add the cumin seeds, chilli, curry leaves. When they sizzle add the onions and sauté till pink.
3. Add in the rice and dal and salt. Sauté till all the water evaporates.
4. Transfer to a microwave friendly bowl or rice cooker and microwave on high for about 16 minutes*. Alternatively, add enough water to cover the rice plus an inch above, and cook till done.
5. Serve hot. Pickle, yoghurt and papads, optional.
- Leftovers are great for an office lunch.
- I’ve served this today with some spicy potatoes.
- The time in the microwave may vary depending on the wattage and the make of your equipment.
This post is part of the Back to Basics yoga detox diet that we practiced in preparation for the Summer Solstice on 21st June.