This is the simplest of all the spice mixes to make at home. Once you’ve read through this post you’ll wonder why you ever bought it.
The aromas when you are roasting the cumin and coriander seeds make the kitchen smell great and they also banish any cooking odours that may be lurking around. You can’t ask for a more natural air freshener, can you?
Time required: About 10-12 minutes.
50 grams cumin seeds
50 grams coriander seeds
1 medium pan
1 clean and dry airtight bottle
1 dry grinder/ coffee grinder
1. Heat the pan and tip in the cumin and coriander seeds.
2. Using a spatula, move them around the pan 2-3 times so they don’t burn.
3. Roast them for about 5-6 minutes or until they start to change colour and release a nice aroma. They are done when they are a nice golden brown. Do keep a watch over the pan as they go from a light golden to burnt black in the blink of an eye.
4. Take them off the heat and transfer onto a kitchen towel or a small bowl.
5. When cool, grind them to a fine powder.
6. Store in an airtight bottle.
This versatile mix can be used to liven up raitas or to spice up lentils and vegetables. You can even sprinkle this on a salad or add to a soup.
Would you like to Make you Own spice mixes and chutneys? Click the link look up some more suggestions.